I know it's been a couple of days since my last post, but so much has happened and I have literally had no time to post. I have just been going and going and going. Time has just flown by and the days pass so quickly here. Anyway, I will do my best to recapture the precious moments I have passed in the last three days.

First of all, I know this is a day late (by 14 minutes your time), I want to kind of make a shout-out to women in honor of Mother's Day yesterday. During this trip, I have been blessed to be surrounded by the most amazing women: I have met head strong and defiant women; women with amazing goals and aspirations; women who are very young and awaiting the miracle of a second child; women with the same insecurities that I have and struggle with every day; women (like my mom) who have so much experience and wisdom and can bless others by spreading her knowledge through meaningful advice; women that face hardships and still manage to make it seem like everything is ok, women who even after marriage emphasize the importance of finding a good partner who not only loves you, but respects you and stimulates you to grow in life and respect; women who after children and a family go back to continue their dreams that they didn't accomplish beforehand; women who refuse to follow the norms and live their lives they want to because they want to be happy; in short, all of these women are people who have taught me something that I will carry with me the rest of my life. What's really amazing is that it seems like each of these women has provided me with some piece of information or advice that I have needed to hear for a very long time. This seems to happen every time I pack up and leave and go halfway across the globe. I tend to lose my path and my way sometimes, and when that happens, my heart and soul always let me know it's time for some soul searching when I suddenly find myself waking up in a different country surrounded by a different culture, people, language, food, etc. It amazes me how much traveling does for me-it is my personal therapy and my "me" time. I know it sounds crazy because trips like this always come with so much stress and a mixture of indescribable emotions, but I always end up coming up a different person--a person closer to the one I know I want to be. I seem to find myself again because when I'm gone, I do things for myself and no one else. I don't have to think about anyone or anything but living and enjoying the moment and learning something new. When I look back, I realize that this trip came at the perfect moment, and I am so thankful for the opportunity to get to find myself in such a unique way. I would never ever give up these moments or these times and these experiences. Yes, sometimes, I lose so much when I leave because of these experiences, but looking back, these moments are the ones that count more in my life.
Anyway, I'm getting off of my soap-box now. I really don't know where to start with the post. I guess I'll divide up the posts so that you aren't so overwhelmed. One will be dedicated to places and people, and the other solely to food.
 |
Do you remember a previous post where I shared a picture of Shwerma? Well, anyway, this is the restaurant
we ate it at. On the second day of the conference, My mom, Carly, and I decided to take a look around the Green Plaza (shopping center where the Hilton is situated). On our way around, we walked in front of this restaurant. The previous night, this gentleman had been our server. When he saw us, he immediately came out to greet us. He invited us in for a snack or for drinks, and we explained we didn't have any money, he immediately said that money was not an issue and that if necessary, he would pay for us from his work money. The three of us were so taken aback--how many times do you find this in the United States? The people in Egypt are not only welcoming, but always willing to give of themselves to make someone else comfortable and enjoy their stay. I think this picture also speaks volumes about the power of transcending cultural and language barriers. |
 |
Haha, ok so you're probably wondering why in the world I posted a picture of a Coke can. First of all, this can symbolizes
the life-giving morning coffee that my fellow travel companions needed for survival on the morning we visited the Alexandria Library. The mummies and zombies (literally) beside me saw a Brazilian Coffee Shop (it looked very much like a student coffee shop because it was really close to the library and Liberal Arts-like University) and it was like they had found water in the middle of the desert after years of searching! Anyway, we went in and we all saw this Coke can on display. We all had our different speculations about why it was so important, and when we asked the waiter, he demonstrated that the can floats and twirls on it's own! Anyway, this was a memorable funny moment, so I had to post it. |
 |
This is inside the Alexandria Library. The reading section was filled with students and it was relatively quiet. Our guide and some of my Egyptian friends have told me that this is a fantastic place to study. If I lived and studied here, maybe I would be just as smart as these students...hmmm...future home of a Master's Degree?! By the way, here is the website for the Alexandria Website. It is truly worth exploring.
http://www.bibalex.org/Home/Default_EN.aspx |
 |
| This was our guide inside the museum-terrible quality, I know, but she was so amazing brilliant and full of knowledge! |
We didn't have the chance to visit all of the exhibits in the museum, but the one my Dad and I were most anxious to see was the Ancient Documents area. Inside, we were told, the museum housed one of the original scrolls found in side the original Alexandria Library built by Cleopatra. I made a really long video which kind of shows the all of the ancient books and stuff that were housed in here. Anyway, the second most astounding piece of work that I found in this section (after the scroll) was this! This is one of the original cloth coverings that covers the Qaba in Mecca! This was really really cool for me because I may never get to see the Qaba in my lifetime because it is a holy place for Muslims, so being this close to a part of it was really neat.
 |
| Ok, so this couple is pretty amazing. They met in dental school and they are just the emblem of love, team work, respect, and friendship all in one. Hussein and Doha were a pleasure to meet and I hope to be able to hang out with them because they were soooo much fun! |
|
| Tarek's parents (after visiting the library) took us to see the Citadel in Alexandria! This was really awesome too. Before reaching the Citadel, there are all these little tables that sell all kinds of little souvenirs ranging from Cleopatra heads and camels to sea shells found in the sea. The view of the Mediterranean was breath taking from here. I'll spare you the details of history of this place and if you're interested just Google it :). |



 |
| We also went to visit King Karouk's Castle (or should I say one of his immense and impressive summer houses) Momtaza. For any of you who have visited the Versailles Palace in France, this is somewhat like it. The gardens are IMMENSE they just go on for EVER. The palace it'self is sealed off to the public, but I am told that inside the wealth and splendor of it all are just as overwhelming and magnificent as Versailles. The palace is located on the coast of Alexandria where many Egyptians have a small beach house and access to their own private beaches. |
 |
| In honor of Nandy, I took a Nandy-shot! But in the background is a snapshot of some of the beach houses and the beautiful coast. |
 |
| My friend Hala, the one who showed us around Alexandria yesterday and took us to the castle, helped us sneak in to one of the private beach house areas so that Carly and I could run to the water and put our feet in!! |
 |
Ok, by far, the coolest experience I have had so far is driving in Egypt. This was a pretty scary and amazing moment in my life. We are driving home two nights ago from dinner with friends when Tarek starts asking me if I have my American license with me. When I said yes, he asked me if I wanted to drive. All of the sudden he starts pulling over. In my moment of absolute stress and hysteria, I break out into uncontrollable laughter! For some reason, when I am really nervous, I just laugh so hard that I can't even breath! Anyway, so after a good 3-4 minutes of laughing, Tarek gets of the car and tells me to get in the driver's seat. I did. i think my parents were also just as nervous because driving in Egypt is pure madness. I wanted to upload a video from youtube to show you just how bad it is, but my internet connection isn't good. Anyway, I DROVE! I drove all the way home, and I even started getting Egyptian road rage and honking! Lol, when I tell Egyptians I drove, they all freak out because it is such a big deal. You have to experience it to believe it! I will carry this moment with me ALWAYS!!!
Culture wise, I still feel really uncomfortable walking outside sometimes. I still seem to attract a lot of stares and glares, but now more than ever from men. For the most part, I am completely covered and all of my clothes is loose-fitting. I wear no make-up, and I try my hardest to fit in. However, none of this seems to make much of a difference. I am told quite often that I do look Middle Eastern or Greek or Spanish (which makes me extremely happy) Going to the crowded market places was probably the worst. I told Carly the most awkward moment was when I was walking down the street and the younger boys would lean in and when I was at ear-level, they would whisper something in my ear. Of course, I didn't understand, but having someone violate your personal space and say something you can't respond to is pretty uncomfortable. I know the cat-calls and stuff will only get worse in Morocco and Jordan, but I'll live.
Anyway, today is kind of a "take-it-easy" kind of day. We are all dying of stomach issues (hence why I will save the food section for another day when I can actually look at food and retain it in my system), so I think our last day in Alexandria will consist of fasting and some light shopping!!
|
No comments:
Post a Comment