Thursday, April 12, 2012

Pride and Prejudice


 

I did not expect (nor want) my first post on my official travel blog to be anything other than a happy introduction to my travels--but of course, like most times in my life, things always go in the opposite direction. Today's very first post will establish more or less the underlying reasons for my blog. Not only have I created this to let my loved ones experience the things I go through as I see, smell, taste, and experience them, (along with the idea that this is going to serve as something to look back on, meet the requirements for a scholarship, and my own secret venting area when things get a little rough) but I want to use this  blog to break down misconception and tear down the walls of intolerance due to ignorance. Whether or not I will succeed will be decided at the end of my travels....

Tonight's lecture on comparative world religions was the most difficult lecture I have EVER had to sit through! That is totally saying something because I have also had to sit through an incredibly trying lecture where an ex-covert CIA member questioned and challenged our moral stances on real life (and some made up) instances of life. Just to give you an idea, some of this instances include:

-***disclaimer, these versions have been drastically shortened to spare you from endless hours of reading, so for more detailed accounts with all information you can look up the book America's Secret War by Jim Olson***

- whether or not to support/allow a female CIA office to use sexual favors/sex to persuade an Iranian embassy worker to help the CIA because he could provide special information that the CIA would otherwise not have access to;  

-whether or not to support/allow a convicted Al-Qaeda terrorist(with 99% of the evidence proving that he was guilty and that he was hiding valuable information about an imminent attack on US territory) to be drugged for information and then water boarded if the drugs did not work in getting information out of him;

-whether or not to send a droid to take out an entire neighborhood building (with families, children, and innocents) where a dangerous Al-Qaeda terrorist was living because CIA did not want to risk a in land attack because there was no certainty that they would be able to kill him without too many American causalities; 
-etc.

Anyway, I got a little bit off topic, but back to difficult lectures. The lecture from today was completely...uuuugggghhhhhh is the best way I can describe it.Yes, a very long drawn out uuuggghh accompanied by  eye rolling and unattractive facial expressions and menacing hand gestures.

Today's lecture demonstrated the importance of many things. It is important to be well informed in a society that boasts the highest number of misinformed (ignorant to be a little more blunt) citizens on many subjects. It is important to dig deeper and to never trust your resources no matter how "credible" they might seem or claim to be. Every argument-whether factual or based on lies-is biased. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for stating your opinions, because without opinions, we would live in a boring, one sided world. However, now more than ever I think that to go into a battle of different opinions(especially when your opponents are...not as open minded to put it nicely)  and come out victorious (yes, it's all about winning in my world lol...just kidding...kind of?), being able to keep a cool head (which is a struggle for me) and fight back with opinions based on facts is necessary.

I admit that sometimes I don't necessarily live by what I advocate (I'm sure my parents and my boyfriend can attest to that), but I am so grateful that I have learned this valuable lesson. I am so grateful to have a family that not only supports me in my choices, but has also taught me to stand for what I believe and never back down or feel inferior for any reason. I am also lucky to have a boyfriend who forced me out of my monolithic mind bubble and taught me to question and look beyond the things I'm told. Lastly, I'm am blessed for having friends and role models who DO live by these standards.

My goal while I am abroad is to provide my perspective from my travels and experiences. I also hope to use this blog as a way to keep my self sober and honest. If I am going to fight against intolerance and ignorance, I have to be the pillar of tolerance and open mindedness. I have to put my selfish pride aside to overcome the prejudices in life. Inshallah, (إن شاء الله) I will slowly accomplish this.

Happy readings everyone, and ma-ah salama (مع سلم)


No comments:

Post a Comment